Minutes of the Inaugural Meeting of the Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held on Tuesday 18 March 2014

at The Rhodes Centre, South Road, Bishops Stortford


Present

John Barfoot, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby


Apologies for absence

Ian Hudson

 

Agenda

The meeting was opened at 11.00hrs by John.  This being the inaugural meeting there was no agenda but John produced a draft Founding Document which he suggested be the basis on which to proceed.

Stan proposed and Richard agreed that John should chair the meeting.

John moved directly Section 3 of the document (Governance) and outlined the offices of the committee which needed occupying.  It was agreed that Richard would be Secretary and Stan be Treasurer.  The old adage that one volunteer etc... meant that Ian was nominated as Co-ordinator.

 

Section 1 Aims and Objectives

Agreed in its entirety.

 

Section 2 Finance

Stan undertook to open an account with Barclays Bank with a requirement for two signatories to authorise payments.

Richard suggested that three signatories be appointed with any two needed to authorise.  This was agreed, the appointed signatories being Stan, Richard and Ian.

John said that one of the reasons for establishing the Committee was to formalise funding arrangements and to set a budget. He had secured £1200 from the County Council Locality Budget Scheme for ten days of Community Payback Scheme activity at £120 daily including VAT.

Stan asked if it was worth pursuing the Town Council for a grant.  John said that he believed it would not be forthcoming as the books would be inspected by the Council and the £1200 grant from the CCLBS would be apparent.

 

The committee agreed the following costs:

£  25   payable to Ian Hudson for IT costs already incurred.

£100   advertising in local newspapers

£255   fifteen litter pickers although the Committee would research cheaper alternatives

£ 90    one hundred pairs of gloves

£ 10    for laundering of gloves and high visibility vests

£ 50    for shovels and brooms already purchased by John and used by Hockerill College students for Duke of Edinburgh Scheme community project activities

£ 20    contingency

TOTAL = £550

This together with the £1200 CPS funding gives a total budget of £1750.

Stan offered to launder the gloves and vests as necessary.  John suggested that volunteers could retain the gloves used for cleaning and future use.    

Richard asked who could be appointed as auditors as they should not be Committee members.  John said that he could ask two of the regular volunteers.

 

Section 3 Governance

Volunteer Committee

Chairman                  John Barfoot

Co-ordinator              Ian Hudson

Secretary                   Richard Roscoe

Treasurer                   Stan Stainsby

The following was discussed and agreed

  • Frequency of meetings       on an Ad Hoc basis but no less than two a year
  • Venue                                      Rhodes Centre
  • Quorum                                 three
  • Casting Vote                         Chair shall have the casting vote

Richard raised the matter of the Data Protection legislation and it was agreed that any mass e-mails to volunteers would be sent on a BCC basis.


Section 4 Termination

Agreed in its entirety.

 

AOB

Areas to pick

The following areas for litter-picking were suggested:

  • Central Park / Sworders Field
  • St James Way
  • Dunmow Road near The Nags Head

Payback

The following areas for Payback attention were suggested:

  • Bichwood
  • Dimsdale Ditch.

Stan suggested that ideas be sought from the Town Council.

 

Close

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 12.15hrs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minutes of the Meeting of the Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held at 18.00hrs on Wednesday 13 August 2014 at

The Three Tuns PH, London Road, South Road, Bishops Stortford

 

John Barfoot occupied the Chair

 

Apologies for absence

 

None

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

 

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 18 March 2014 were read and agreed.

 

Matters arising

 

Stan reported that the TUBS Bank Account at Barclays Bank was now fully opened.

 

John reported that he was still in the process of identifying an Auditor for the Committee accounts.

 

Agenda

 

1             Funding

 

John said that he would need an official application from the Committee to secure County funding.  Stan said that he would prepare it.

 

Ian suggested that application be made to Bishop’s Stortford Town Council for funds as the activities of TUBS was of benefit to the town.  Richard said that he would submit one.

 

2             September location

 

A suggestion was received from a volunteer, George Cutting, that we treat Cox Gardens.  Richard suggested that we could treat the footpath alongside the bus road between Piggotts Way and Villiers-sur-Marne Avenue at the same time.  Both were agreed.

 

3             Bi-monthly dates

 

The committee agreed that the second Saturday of odd months would continue.

 

4             Activities

 

Ian proposed that the committee consider ad hoc collections on receipt of requests from volunteers.  This was agreed.

 

 

5             Advertising on Bishop’s Stortford Town Council web site

 

The committee agreed that any application would be deferred until the outcome of the grant application to the Town Council is known.

 

 

AOB

 

 

Publication of Committee Minutes

 

Richard suggested that the Committee minutes be published on the TUBS web site.  This was agreed

 

 

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 19.00hrs.

 

 

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby


____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Minutes of the Meeting of the Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held at 18.00hrs on Wednesday 22 October 2014 at

The Three Tuns PH, London Road, Bishops Stortford

 

John Barfoot occupied the Chair

 

Apologies for absence

 

None

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

 

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 13 August 2014 were read and agreed.

 

Matters arising

 

  1. Richard reported that Bishop’s Stortford Town Council had issued a cheque for £550 in response to the grant application. 

 

  1. John reported that he had signed off a Hertfordshire County Council Locality Budget grant for £1200 in preparation for funding tasks by those on Community Payback.

 

  1. Agenda Item 5 – 13 August 2014 - Advertising on Bishop’s Stortford Town Council web site, held over pending the grant.  Ian said that he would now action this.

 

  1. John reported that he had not yet identified an Auditor for the Committee accounts. Stan offered to assist.

 

Agenda

 

 

1             November location

 

John suggested Dunmow Road, Birchanger Woods and Woodside and that TUBS advertise the event in the local paper.  This was agreed.  Ian said that he would arrange to place the advertisement.

 

2             Spending

 

John said that TUBS did not require the purchase of more litter-pickers. He suggested that we look at sack holders to make litter-picking easier.  He identified some at £6 each.  The committee settled on the purchase of twenty.  It was also agreed that 100 pairs of gloves be purchased and that these would be issued to volunteers to retain and re-use on future occasions. John said that he would apply for more refuse sacks.

 

John suggested that the committee use the HCC grant on tackling areas such as Rye Street and Beldams Lane.  Stan suggested that a footpath in Canons Close should also be tackled.  These were all agreed.

 

John offered to supply 500 leaflets at cost to advertise the activities of TUBS. 

 

AOB


Ian said that the January date would be the twenty-fifth TUBS event and suggested that it be marked in some way.  This was discussed and the committee agreed to give consideration to the matter and come up with proposals.

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 20.00hrs.

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held at 20.00hrs on Tuesday 21 April 2015 at

The Three Tuns PH, London Road, South Road, Bishops Stortford

 

Apologies for absence

None

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 22 October 2014 were read and agreed.

Matters arising

The committee had still not identified an auditor for the accounts.  Stan suggested an individual and said that he would speak to him.

Agenda

  1. Stansted Airport grant

Ian reported that the Stansted Airport Passengers Community Fund had kindly agreed to donate £400 for the purchase of clothing and equipment, banners and printing and web site costs.

John thanked Ian for his work on the application.

Richard said that he would write to the Fund expressing thanks on behalf of all the volunteers.

  1. Locations

The Committee agreed the following locations and dates:

 

May -  Saturday 9.                Great Hadham Road, general pick.  John to arrange parking permission.

 

July -   Sunday  12.              Sworders Field post - Cazfest pick.

 

Sept – Saturday 12.             Birchanger Woods

 

Nov –  Sunday 8.                 Post – Bonfire Night pick.  Location tba.

 

AOB

Community Payback Scheme.

It was agreed that the next location would be Dunmow Road.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 21.00hrs.

 

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held at 20.00hrs on Wednesday 5 August 2015 at

Shadhona, South Street, London Road, South Road, Bishops Stortford

 

 

Apologies for absence

 

None

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

 

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 21 April 2015 were read and agreed.

 

Matters arising

 

  1. Accounts audit.

 

In view of the minimal entries in the accounts the committee had a discussion on the need for auditing.  However, it was subsequently agreed that this was desirable for transparency and Stan agreed to identify a suitable individual.

 

Agenda

 

  1. Locations:

 

The Committee confirmed the following locations and dates for 2015:

 

Sept – Saturday 12.             Birchanger Woods

 

Nov –  Sunday 8.                 Post – Bonfire Night pick, Parsonage Lane Park.

 

Ian suggested that volunteers’ views be sought on Sunday picks and for suggestions for locations.  After discussion this was agreed.

AOB

Stan proposed that the financial year for the TUBS’ accounts run from 31 March.  This was agreed.

John said that we would be likely to lose our equipment storage facilities and asked for suggestions.  An area able to accommodate about 2m³ was required.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 20.30hrs.

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held at 20.00hrs on Tuesday 1 December 2015 at

The Three Tuns PH, London Road, South Road, Bishops Stortford

Apologies for absence

None

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 5 August 2015 were read and agreed.

Matters arising

TUBS questionnaire:  Ian stated that he had 21 responses of which 42%expressed a preference to maintain the status quo, including the Cazfest and Parsonage Lane fireworks picks on Sundays.  Some suggested that we continue with six Saturdays and add the two Sundays to make 8 picks per year.  A number of other constructive suggestions were given, including leaving a mobile number on a vehicle to enable latecomers to catch up.

Equipment storage facilities: Stan volunteered to offer his garage.

 

Locations:

 

The Committee confirmed the following locations and dates for 2016:

 

09 January -  Thorley Centre

 

04 March -  Clean for the Queen, River and retail areas (special Friday meet)

 

05 March – Clean for the Queen, Dunmow Road/Hockerill

 

14 May – Havers Lane/ Cemetery Road


AOB

Ian suggested that the Committee use the doodle.com web site to schedule.  Richard agreed to register with Doodle.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 20.45hrs.

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held at 19.00hrs on Monday 29 February 2016 at

The Three Tuns PH, London Road, South Road, Bishops Stortford

 

Apologies for absence


None

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

 

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 5 August 2015 were read and agreed.

 

Matters arising

 

Equipment storage facilities: Stan’s garage is now in use.

 

Agenda

  1. Treasure’s report

Stan produced a report by Mr D L A Sheppard BA (Hons), FCA, who had reviewed the accounts and stated that in his opinion the accounts gave no cause for him to believe that the relevant accounting conventions had not been met. The committee thanked David for his work.

         2. Logistics for ‘Clean for the Queen’

 

John proposed that the Friday pick cover the green next to Waitrose and the wooded area opposite and that the Saturday pick include Dunmow Road near the M11, Hockerill Street, the towpath and London Road.  He added that this might change on the day depending on circumstances.  This was agreed.

         3. 2016 Locations:

 

     The Committee discussed the following locations and dates for 2016:

 

18 June

Carnival Day - Stan suggested that in the absence of Cazfest, or in addition to, that a pick be organised on Carnival Day.  He added that TUBS could participate at the rear of the parade.  It was agreed that Stan would investigate further.

09July           

This weekend would normally cover Cazfest on the Sunday but John reported that the festival had not been confirmed for 2016.


10 September

Haymeads (later requested by Birchanger Wood Tuust to help them)


06 November

Clear-up afterParsonage Lane fireworks display

12 November

Working with Canoe Club along the river

 

AOB

 

John reported that residents of Canons Close had expressed concerns over offensive graffiti on the Johnsons Crossing bridge.  He said that they were applying for grants to cover the cost of £350 but were these applications to fail then he would cover it from his locality budget.  He asked if the committee were willing to advance the funds ahead of any such applications.  This was agreed.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 19.45hrs.

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held on Wednesday 10 August 2016

Apologies for absence

None

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 29 February 2016 were read and agreed.

 

Matters arising

Hertfordshire Community Foundation Grant.

Richard reported that the HCF Grant application on behalf of the residents of Canons Close had been successful and that the funds had been made available for the purchase of the supplies stated in the application

 Treasure’s report

 

Stan produced accounts for year ending 31st March 2016.  The committee thanked Stan for his efforts.


 Painting of Causeway Railings

 

John said that the Community Payback team are no longer charging the £100 per day for their services.  This gives TUBS the scope to undertake some bigger projects with them.  He proposed that TUBS engage them to paint the Causeway Railings for which TUBS would need to supply the materials.  He suggested that he sets up an account for about £400 at Coleman’s, the trade paint shop, so that they could collect the necessary materials.

Stan asked about control and refunds of surplus funds.

John said that he had full confidence in the person running the scheme and that Coleman’s, a reputable company, would have to agree the principal of refunds before any deposit was paid.

This was agreed.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               2016 Locations:

 

     The Committee discussed the following locations and dates for 2016:

 

10 September - Birchanger Woods

 

06 November - clearing up after Parsonage Lane Firework Display

 

12 November - Riverside

 

AOB

John suggested that we purchase twenty more pickers and allow volunteers to retain them.  Stan bartered this down to ten, which was agreed.

John then suggested that we might look at a petrol pressure washer to deal with graffiti.  We agreed that he would research the market and report back.

We then discussed enlarging the Committee as permitted by Article 3 of the Founding Document.  Ian proposed and Stan seconded that Gillian Campbell be elected.  This was carried unanimously.

Richard asked about other groups borrowing some equipment.  This was deemed to not be a problem and John gave an email address, Operations.Admin@eastherts.gov.uk, to arrange bag collection.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 21.00hrs.

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee held at 19.30hrs on Wednesday 7 December 2016 at The Three Tuns, London Road,  Bishops Stortford

Apologies for absence

Gillian Campbell, Stan Stainsby

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 10 August 2016 were read and agreed.

Matters arising

Hertfordshire Community Foundation Grant.

Richard reported that the work had been completed and that the HCF monitoring forms returned.  HCF agreed that the balance of £7.44 could be retained by TUBS to be used as the Committee saw fit.

 Locality Budget grant

Richard reported that he had completed the Locality Budget Scheme evaluation form which was then agreed by HCC.

 

Agenda

 

  1. CM23 Connection

Richard reported that the dates had been wrongly printed.  Ian said that we are not charged for these adverts but that he would speak to the editor, Lorraine Perry.  He also said that he would submit an updated version of the TUBS logo.


         2. Painting of Causeway Railings

John reported that progress, although slow, is being made and that more paint than expected has been used.


          3. Grants

TUBS finances were discussed but it was felt that with a balance of £665 further grant applications were unnecessary, at least until May 2017.


          4. 2017 Locations:

     The Committee discussed the following locations and dates for 2016:

14 January Dunmow Road

04 March   Great Hadham Road and Windhill

13 May Thorley (meet at Sainsburys car park)

08 July    Sworders Field

 

AOB

Richard offered apologies for absence for the January collection.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 20.45hrs.

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson and  Richard Roscoe.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee at 19.00hrs on Monday 15th May 2017 at

The Three Tuns PH, London Road, South Road, Bishops Stortford

 

Apologies for absence

 

None

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

 

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 07 December 2016 were read and agreed.

 

Matters arising:       None

 

Agenda

 

  1. Treasurer’s report

 

Stan reported that the TUBS’ account was currently in credit by £556.76.  The committee agreed that there was no need to make application for further funds at this stage.


              2. 2017 locations

 

17 June         -           Bishop’s Stortford Carnival

 

08 July           -           Sworders Field

 

09 September -         Birchanger Woods/ Heath Row/ Snowley Parade

 

11 November -          tbc but possibly The Sort river      

 

      3. Herts & Essex Observer Community Pages entry

 

Richard reported that local events were publicised in the Community pages and suggested that TUBS use this resource.  He agreed to undertake the task.

 

     4. Purchase of more Litter Pickers

 

It was agreed that Ian would purchase another 16 pickers and 12 hoops.

 

AOB

 

It was felt that the Committee would benefit from another member.  John agreed to look into possible volunteers.

 

The next Committee Meeting date was set for 14 November 2017.

 

Meeting closed at:  19.35hrs

 

Present:

 

Those present were: John Barfoot (Chair), Ian Hudson, Richard Roscoe and Stan Stainsby.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tidy Up Bishop’s Stortford Committee at 19.00hrs on Tuesday 3rd October 2017 at

The Three Tuns PH, London Road, South Road, Bishops Stortford

Apologies for absence

Stan Stainsby

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 15 May 2017 were read and agreed.

 

Matters arising

John reported that he was still looking for another committee member and had one or two people in mind.

Richard reported that he had submitted several articles to the Herts and Essex Observer with all bar one being published.

 

  1. Treasurer’s report

Deferred until the next Committee meeting.


         2. 2017/8 locations

 

11 Nov 2017             Dunmow Road area

 

13 January 2018      Parsonage Lane area

 

3  March 2018        River Bank & Castle Gardens as part of Keep Britain Tidy annual clear-up

 

AOB

Ian said that he had been contacted by an individual offering services by him and three others as part of their Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.  The committee agreed to supply the requested equipment and John would advise them as to the collection disposal.

Ian suggested that an article on TUBS be submitted to the new Bishop’s Stortford Independent newspaper.  Richard agreed to draft one.  It was suggested that the article asks for location suggestions, which was agreed.

 

Meeting closed at               19.30hrs

 

Present:                    John Barfoot (Chair), Richard Roscoe and Ian Hudson.



Make a free website with Yola